14/1/19

"WHAT IF IT'S US" BY BECKY ALBERTALLI & ADAM SILVERA (SPOILER-FREE!)

TITLE: What If It's Us
AUTHORS: Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera
STANDALONE!
Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.
Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.
But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them? Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated. Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited. But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third? What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough? What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play? But what if it is?

Even though I'm not a huge fan of contemporary (as you already know from repeated statements, lol), I was still dying to read what these two great authors had in store for us. How couldn't I get excited about seeing Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli work together in a freaking book? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG? I was still nervous about reading this -- perhaps that's why I put it off for a while. If you're nervous too, don't be! This book is worth the hype soooooo badly!


➸ "GAY, happy and occasionally sad"
Last year I was fortunate enough to listen to Adam Silvera at a panel, and he described each of his books in four words: "gay, sad and occasionally happy". AND THAT'S 100% TRUE !!! Adam writes amazing books, but I've found none of them life-changing enough for me. Now, with Becky Albertalli's influence, we can say that What If It's Us is more likely to be "GAY, happy and occasionally sad". AND I LOVED THAT !!! This is my favourite book by Adam Silvera (not by Becky because that one will always be Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agendaduhhhh). This is definitely one of those books you cannot help but fall in love with, believe me! I think these two authors have created a magnificent story that kept me at the edge of my seat as I devoured each word.

➸ can we please talk about how cute this is? because atsfydgfuhgsdj the universeeeee.
This is the story of two boys who meet by chance in the chaotic city that is New York City because the universe decided it and that's how life work, but who look for each other to see if they could be something besides of what the universe says. This book was veeeeery cute and made me feel so many things! This is the first time I connect so badly with a teen romance novel because this book IS. SO. FREAKING. REAL. Teenage love is usually characterized as something dramatic and perfect and 100% cheesy, when it usually never is in real life. At least it isn't like in books. The relationship Becky and Adam create between their characters is utterly realistic to the reader and true to our lives, and that's what I treasured the most. This entire novel was just a "HELL, YEAH!" from me because it was so cute afsdghf and I loved it atfsydgufhgj.

➸ this is a book WITH A VOICE
Or maybe many voices? It's hard to find books with a true voice, to find one that sounds different from the rest, one that stands out from the crowd and echoes in your mind. What If It's Us is one of those books that have something worthy to say. Arthur and Ben are two protagonists with a story to tell, and I adored that. It's a story worth telling. A story we all want to hear even if we don't know it yet. Every chapter felt different regarding who was narrating in terms of their voices because they were both distinctive and meaningful at the same time. That's just a HELL YEAH from me too. Books must feel different and at the same time feel human. Both narrators were perfectly real and remind you of yourself. They have voices that echo just as if Ben and Arthur could exist in real life. This book has a voice, or perhaps several. Your voice is there, just as Adam and Becky's, just as mine. Just as the universe's. Just as YOURS.

➸ what if it's us after all? what if it isn't?
I'm in love with books that twirl around questions. My favourite part of this whole thing is how Ben and Arthur meet just by chance and cannot help to feel attracted to each other, just as a subway crush. But then they part ways, BECAUSE THAT'S LIFE! Because that's how the universe works, right? In unexpected, unpredictable and crazy ways. And I love how the book follows a question. These protagonists click in a couple of minutes because the universe brings them together for a limited perod of time, but they're not willing to leave things in the hands of fate and luck. They meet by chance, yes, but not everything is pixy dust in life. This book is about two boys who are looking for each other because they want to make things work. They want to see if they could get to be something more than what the universe wants. Isn't that what life is all about?
What If It's Us ain't a book adorned by magic and those unbelievable life coincidences that often make love stories in fiction. This story could so easily be real! It's all about chasing the answers to those questions that crawl in our heads, like what if I go for it?, what if I fail?, what if I try it out and fail?, what if I try and it actually works?... This is a book about WHAT IFs, people. It's not about stopping to ask the right questions, but about chasing the answers. And trying. Chasing something even though the answer we'd like to find isn't the one we actually encounter. Because perhaps it's not us after all but, what if we could be? I found this book uttelry inspiring in every way possible and I hope you don't only read it because it's beautiful, but also to ask yourself questions and let your mind wander around the WHAT IFs. Just for once :)


➸ i don't think this is JUST a love story
What If It's Us is one of those books you don't forget because they're simply about more than just one thing. In this case, romance. Is this a love story or a story about love? Is it JUST that? I think there's something extremely precious about this novel, something I cannot even begin to put into words. It's DIVERSE. It's IMPORTANT. It's beautiful, sweet, cute, adorable, amazing, sad and necessary. And one of my new faves! AND. IT'S. SO. GAAAAAAYYYY.

➸ my complaints? I liked both boys equally, both Arthur and Ben, but I'm not sure of whether I liked them TOGETHER. I did in individual terms but... I feel this relationship was quite forced from the authors up to a point where it didn't make sense for the characters, and many things in the plot therefore upset me. Becky and Adam brought these characters together who don't know a thing about each other and still get the vibes. And that's realistic! But the rest was just like they were trying to glue Ben and Arthur together and it was just so weirdddddddd. Besides, I didn't like the ending and I'd deeeeefinitely wanted for there not to be an epilogue !!! That's why I didn't give it 5/5★, but 4/5★. Anyways, my complaints are merely based on my personal tastes on the book and you may not agree, so nevermind xD. These two things are just some examples of what bothered me, but that doesn't mean it will bother you as well.

➸ it's a Great Book™
Intense, sweet and hooking! Here goes a list of amazing things: two adorable guys you'll loooove, REALISTIC characters that will engage the readers for more reasons than their meaningful and loud voices, an #ownvoices novel, friendships, family, what it is to be lost and find yourself again, questions without answers and soooo many feelings. Should you give this book a shot? DEFINITELY !!! And I truly do hope you find in this novel a lot more than a love story, just as I did.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario